Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Power of a Teacher

Sitting in class Tuesday night, I felt inspired to say the least. The words being spoken to us gave us such a feeling of power and responsibility. I feel like I am actually beginning to grasp that I will be teaching next year and actually utilizing all of the information I have been learning for the past five years. That seemed to be just a crazy idea....until now.
In watching the videos about guided reading and discussing the elements that make a successful literacy environment, I grasped how much of the knowledge I have truly internalized. Throughout my various practicums and classes, I have observed countless lessons, and I have seen firsthand the benefits of this type of teaching. I cannot wait to do it. 
I taught a lesson on writing today, and the power of individual students continues to amaze me. Some of the students are so bright they finish all of their thoughts and are constantly needing new challenges, whereas other students are struggling to lay the basic ideas on the page. Regardless of their abilities to actually write, through observing conversations and actual seat work, I hear and see such bright ideas. The students are anxious to write a persuasive essay, a feat that I never thought would be accomplished. 
Teachers truly do have power, and it is up to each one of us to utilize it to the best of our abilities. We can make a difference. 

No comments: